In Tears of the Kingdom, every weapon counts as each has limited durability like the game’s predecessor, Breath of the Wild. So, naturally, when a duplication glitch comes along, you have to take advantage of it. If you’re wondering how to duplicate a Hylian Shield in The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, you’ve come to the right place.
Here, we’ll explore just exactly how you can double your Hylian Shield as many times as you’d like. It really is possible! We would like to note that most likely, this duplication glitch will be patched in an update sometime in the near future. It’s assuredly not meant to be in the game and will probably be classified as a bug in the patch notes. With that out of the way, here’s everything you need to know about how to duplicate your Hylian Shield in TOTK.
Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – How to Duplicate the Hylian Shield
To duplicate a Hylian Shield, you’ll need to follow these steps carefully. First, you’ll want to enter the main menu by pressing +. Find the shield that you want to clone and equip it as your shield Link is using. Next, save the game by tabbing over to the very right of the menu. After doing so, go back to the weapons menu and drop the equipped shield (the one you want to clone) on the ground.
Once it’s on the ground, you want to then equip another random shield in your inventory without leaving the menu. At this point, quickly spam the + button twice to close and reopen the menu as fast as possible. Once back in the menu, drop the shield you are currently holding. Finally, go tab back over to the game settings and load the save file you just created.
Upon loading back in, you’ll see that not only is the first Hylian Shield you dropped on your back, but a second one is waiting for you on the ground! This glitch is super easy and can be done with any of the swords, shields, or bows. Even fused weapons work!
Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – Why Duplicate the Hylian Shield
The Hylian Shield is the best shield available in the game with a whole 90 points of defense. You can withstand almost any attack from any enemy in the game with one.
So, as you can imagine if you have a whole inventory full of them, who is going to stop you? You can replenish the shields as often as you’d like with this method, making it extremely handy and resourceful as you trek across Hyrule in Tears of the Kingdom.
Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – Hylian Shield Duplication Glitch Notes
While this glitch is extremely handy, you should keep in mind that it will only give you one item at a time. However, this method only takes a few seconds if you’re working extremely quickly. After a few passes with this method, you’ll be a pro in no time! Recapping the steps:
- Enter the main menu by pressing +.
- Select the shield you want to clone and equip it.
- Save the game manually.
- Go back to the shield menu and drop the shield you’ve equipped.
- Select a new shield without leaving the menu and equip it.
- Quickly press the + button twice to exit and enter the menu.
- Drop the shield you are holding.
- Tab back to the game settings and load the save you made earlier.
- Upon loading you will see both the Hylian Shield on your back and a new one on the ground!
Please keep in mind that this glitch works with the current version of the game only (Version 1.10). When Nintendo releases an update, this will be patched. If you’re looking to prevent this from happening, go into the System Settings on the Nintendo Switch home screen and turn off auto updates.
Final Weapon’s Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Guides
Check out some of Final Weapon’s other Tears of the Kingdom guides below!
- Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – How to Get the Paraglider
- Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – All Skyview Tower Locations
- Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – How to Duplicate Weapons
- Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – How to Duplicate Items
- Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – How to Get More Battery
- Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – How to Get Autobuild Early & Fast