Square Enix filed a new trademark for The Portopia Serial Murder Case in Europe and Australia, which went public today. The new trademark may suggest that a remake or remaster is on the way soon.
A trademark for The Portopia Serial Murder Case was first made public in Japan on November 20, 2022. Nearly 6 months later, Square Enix filed trademarks for the game in Australia and Europe on April 13 and April 17. Although a game announcement has not been made by Square Enix, a potential remaster or remake of The Portopia Serial Murder Case may be coming soon.
The Genesis of Adventure Visual Novels
Developed by Chunsoft and and publisher by Enix, The Portopia Serial Murder Case is an adventure game designed by Yuji Horii, who is best known as the creator of the Dragon Quest series. The game originally released for NEC PC-6001 game console in June 1983. Additionally, MSX and Famicom releases would follow shortly after the summer 1983 release (Thanks, Gematsu).
The classic adventure game is considered by many to be founding father of Japanese adventure visual novels or ADV for short. Prolific game developers such as Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear, Death Stranding) and Eiji Aonuma (Nintendo, The Legend of Zelda) also cite the 1983 title as a source of inspiration for their careers.
Visit Final Weapon’s 2023 Review Coverage of Japanese Titles:
- Forza Horizon 5: Rally Adventure Review
- Mega Man Battle Network: Legacy Collection Review
- GrimGrimoire OnceMore Review
- Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon Review
- Atelier Ryza 3: Alchemist of the End & the Secret Key Review
- ONI: Road to be the Mightiest Oni Review
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails to Azure Review
- Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Review
- Theatrhythm: Final Bar Line Review
- Like a Dragon: Ishin! Review
- One Piece Odyssey Review
- Persona 3 Portable Review
- Persona 4 Golden Review
- Fire Emblem Engage Review