Square Enix have released turn-based RPG sequel Octopath Traveler II for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and PC via Steam. To celebrate the launch of Octopath Traveler II, Square Enix released a new trailer to give fans one last look into the full game.
The game is available physically and digitally just like the original title. Additionally, the Octopath Traveler II “Prologue” demo is available now with save data transfers into the full game. This demo allows players to begin their journey in Solistia as soon as possible.
Here’s an overview of the game via Square Enix:
Octopath Traveler II tells a brand-new epic story, set in a new World independent from the original title. Players will be introduced to eight original characters and experience all-new features and gameplay elements. Octopath Traveler II is the perfect entry for newcomers to the series, while also preserving the charm of the original game for existing fans by improving upon the series’ iconic HD-2D visuals, which feature a striking blend of retro 2D characters in a beautiful 3D world.
- Break & Boost Battle System – Players must act strategically to exploit enemy weaknesses to “Break” them to inflict more damage, and “Boost” their travelers to enhance their abilities.
- Path Actions – Players can interact with NPCs throughout the world in various ways by using actions unique to each character, such as challenging people as the Warrior or stealing belongings as the Thief. Path Actions will vary depending on the protagonist and whether it is day or night.
- Brand-New Story and Characters – Players can embark on a grand adventure in the new land of Solistia and experience the intertwined stories of eight new travelers: Hikari (Warrior), Agnea (Dancer), Partitio (Merchant), Osvald (Scholar), Throné (Thief), Temenos (Cleric), Ochette (Hunter), and Castti (Apothecary).
- Day/Night Cycle – The townscapes and Path Actions available to each character will change depending on if it is night or day, creating more opportunities for exploration and discovery.
- Latent Power – A new battle element in which characters can unleash a powerful ability once the ability’s gauge fills up during combat.
- Crossed Paths – Additional stories will unfold between the protagonists as their journey progresses, further intertwining their narratives.