Dragon Quest series producer Ryota Aomi announced his departure from Square Enix on Twitter after working on the franchise for 16 years. Aomi begins his “next adventure” at a new company.
Ryota Aomi originally worked at Genius Sonority as a planner for Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors. In 2013, Square Enix officially hired Ryota Aomi to work on the Dragon Quest franchise as a producer and designer. His most notable works include Legend of Mana (2021), Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age, and Dragon Quest Builders 2.
“I, Ryota Aomi, have left Square Enix,” Aomi said in a lengthy Twitter message. “I apologize to everyone for this sudden announcement.”
Aomi continues, “I’ve been at Square Enix for 13 years, and have worked on Dragon Quest for 16 years including the development period at my last job. Working on Dragon Quest was a dream of mine since elementary school. Every day was truly another tale.”
“I’ve now begun a ‘new adventure’ at the next company,” Aomi said. “I’d like to tell you all about where I’m at and what I’m doing, so please wait just a little longer.”
Aomi closes out his message by thanking Dragon Quest creator Yuji Horii, Dragon Quest character designer and Dragon Ball mangaka Akira Toriyama, and the late series composer Koichi Sugiyama.
Lastly, visit Final Weapon’s extensive review coverage of Japanese games below:
- AI: The Somnium Files – nirvanA Initiative Review
- Monark Review
- The Caligula Effect 2 Review
- Persona 3 Portable Review
- Persona 4 Golden Review
- Persona 5 Royal for Nintendo Switch Review
- Fire Emblem Engage Review
- Soul Hackers 2 Review
- Sonic Frontiers Review
- Lost Judgment Review
- Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion Review
- Witch on the Holy Night Review
- Chaos;Head Noah / Chaos;Child Double Pack Review
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III Review
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV Review
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero Review
- Ys IX: Monstrum Nox Review