Retro-inspired story-exploration game Melon Journey: Bittersweet Memories will launch on March 7th, 2023 publisher XSEED Games announced today. This collaboration between developer Froach Club (Melon Journey, Fish Fly Fever) and co-developer/publishing company Poppy Words (Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi, Devil Engine) will be coming to PS4, PS5, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Steam, GoG, and the Humble Store in North America. The game’s color palette is reminiscent of the original Nintendo Game Boy and will surely catch the eye of those nostalgic for the handheld.
Here’s a rundown of Melon Journey: Bittersweet Memories courtesy of XSEED:
- What power a single melon holds! When her friend Cantaloupe goes missing, melon factory employee Honeydew ducks out of their shift at Eglantine Industries to head to Hog Town, where melons are outlawed and corruption abounds. As Honeydew’s search begins, an array of intertwining mysteries begin to unfold in the brand-new story-exploration game Melon Journey: Bittersweet Memories. Is the Cavity Crew as dangerous as they seem? Is Kitten King responsible for Hog Town’s troubles? Honeydew will need to comb every inch of the green-tinted pixelated world, their every step accompanied by the beats of the jazzy lo-fi soundtrack, to save the day in this monochromatic mystery packed with eccentric personalities. Who knew so much trouble could come from just a single melon?
- Fully Interactive Investigation: Comb every inch of Hog Town to collect clues, interrogate shady characters, and sneak through the seedy underworld, using keen observational skills and quick wit to piece together the whole picture before it’s too late.
- Mystery at Every Turn: While looking for Cantaloupe, Honeydew will encounter dozens of curious characters with unique personalities and backstories, adding additional mysteries for her to unravel along the way.
- Jazzy Lo-Fi Soundtrack: Enjoy more than 90 different electronic and jazz-inspired tracks from composer markeryjane while exploring Hog Town and working the case.
- Gorgeous Retro-Style Graphics: The green-tinted, pixelated world of Melon Journey is filled with loving detail, a nostalgic ode to the Game Boy generation with plenty of modern twists.
Froach Club began their careers with an RPG Maker game called Melon Journey in 2012. It’s delightful to see the team return to their first creation a decade later with the support of publisher XSEED. Melon Journey: Bittersweet Memories will cost $14.99 when it releases in Spring 2023.